4 benefits to a cancelled trip




Airlie Beach



I think we can all agree that Covid-19 can (and excuse my language) fuck off. There are probably millions of us out there who had their dream holidays planned, new places to explore and experiences to tick off our bucket lists. However, Covid-19 had other ideas for us. I think we, the travel addicts and nomads of the world have found this unprecedented time a struggle because we know that travel is the one thing we're sure about in life and not being able to do that is tough. But, I am an optimist, and so I've been thinking about the positive side of cancelled travel plans. 

1.Saving Money 

Let's be real; travelling is expensive! Even backpacking and budget travel adds up to a significant expense over time. It's easy to spend hundreds and even thousands of dollars going somewhere new and experiencing the place you're visiting. Whether it's food, alcohol or activities, the dollars start to add up, and before you know it, you can spend more money than you anticipated. With cancelled travel, it means you can save that money for a rainy day or whatever you want, or if you're like me, save it for when international travel is allowed and go big on you're first post-COVID travels. 

2.Extra Planning Time 

Have you ever gone on holiday in a rush and it has just completely ruined your experience? You've rushed to pack, to plan, to do everything and it has messed with your travel vibe. That's one thing you won't have to worry about for your next holiday. You'll have all the time in the world to properly plan (if you're that kind of traveller) and if you're super keen, you could even start to pack your bags now. 

3.Travel within your own country

I don't know where you're from but here in Australia (specifically Queensland) we are allowed to travel within Australia, except to Victoria because they've got 500 new cases of Coronavirus. Although international travel is off the cards, an opportunity to travel domestically is definitely on the cards. I've always thought I'd travel Australia when I was retired. I would buy a caravan and make my way from town to town, but now with Covid-19, I am finding that Australia has a lot to offer. As I am writing, I'm on a plane on my way to Airlie Beach, ready to explore a new part of Australia. So all isn't that bad; the travel needs within me are still being fulfilled and can be fulfilled by your own countries. 

4.Greater appreciation for travel in the future

If there is one benefit of this situation, it's the fact that I'll have a greater appreciation for the next time I travel. Don't get me wrong, I'm always super grateful to travel, but I fell like the gratitude will be on a whole new level the next time. None of us knows when our next adventure will be, and I think the unknown will give us more time to reflect on our past travels and imagine what our future travels will entail. 

Even though our trips have been cancelled or postponed, it isn't the end of the world. There is always a silver lining, and you have to look for it. Being an optimist in times like these is difficult, but it will always get you through and out the other end a keen and appreciative traveller. 

 -JK

Comments

  1. Hi Jay,
    Another great post and I resound with your sentiments regarding delayed international travel and renewed optimism for travel within our beautiful country.
    Thanks for the optimism.

    Fred

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post. I had to cancel my trip for May and was a bit upset about it. However it was a blessing in disguise because I saved money and now I have more time to further plan out my next trip.

    Lovely tips. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts